Saturday 1 June 2013

Flying to and Arriving in Cape Town


So the trip did not start out as I had imagined it would. I was all excited to get to the airport and meet Caitlyn, Nathaniel, and Chelsea to begin our one and a half day traveling adventure. As I walked up to the American Airlines counter at Detroit Metro Airport, I was greeted with a smile by an African American women who, at least I thought, would be more than delighted to see that I was traveling to visit her homeland. As I handed her my ticket, she looked it over, and with the smile remaining on her face simply said "Your flight is cancelled." I could feel the blood rushing through my body and words started flowing out of my mouth faster than I could think. "What does that mean?" I asked in panic, expecting an answer along the lines of, "we can find something else", or "its ok we can figure out another plan," but all I got out of her was "It means your flight is cancelled." Long story short, she fixed my flight and put me on the 5:45 to Dallas (which still makes no sense to me because that is backtracking, and also, the flight was horrible because the turbulence was so bad) and then it was off to London Heathrow, where we were supposed to be picked up at 11:00am by my friend Sara's mom. She was going to show us around the town of Surrey, England and take us to a castle. Well, we arrived safe and sound in Surrey, England.......at 1:45pm. So, I had no way of contacting Sara's mom without having to use my iPhone, which would have cost me who knows how much for roaming charges. I felt horrible not contacting her, but there was nothing I could do. Chelsea and I (we couldn't find Nathaniel and Caitlyn since they were not on our flight) went to a little restaurant called Wagamama, where we got seaweed salad and two spring rolls the size of my pinkie...for 10 pounds, which is like a shit ton of money in dollars, so that was a bust. After waiting at Heathrow for 8 hours, we boarded the plane to Cape Town, and after a smooth 11 hour flight, we arrived. The city is beautiful (what I have seen so far, which isn't much) but I am so excited for the next 3 months. It is raining and cloudy but it is still great. I am running on zero hours of sleep right now and not tired, but feel that I should sleep. Although this trip started off to a crappy start, it's already turning into a great adventure.

 Almost there!


No comments:

Post a Comment