Monday 3 June 2013

Day 2

So today, I woke up a little bit earlier since I am finally getting used to South African time, and it was really nice. I was planning to go to Vida, the local Internet cafĂ©, with everyone, but I decided to go to the gym on the top floor of our apartment complex. The gym sucks, but I did a little workout and then went and sat in the sauna that looks out to Table Mountain (look it up on Google, it is amazing). After working out, I came back to the apartment and showered, awaiting my orientation meeting at 13:00 (That's 1:00pm, I’m on African time now and its weird, but I’m getting used to it) The meeting was actually VERY informative, and they gave us a TON of information. Our supervisor told us the places NOT to go during day OR night, and we looked at the map and realized that we were in the most dangerous place in Cape Town the day before…Learn from your mistakes I guess! (Mom, it wont happen again, I promise) After orientation, we all planned to go on a champagne sunset cruise, but apparently sunset cruises don’t work out when your boat leaves at 17:00 (5:00pm) and you’re still looking for a cab at 17:30 (5:30pm) After postponing the cruise to this weekend, we decided to walk to Long Street (the tourist street with all of the clubs and restaurants) and we found an Ethiopian restaurant that everyone decided to go to (I honestly was so nervous about getting diarrhea, but I didn’t!) Turns out, Ethiopian food is FANTASTIC, and doesn’t give you diarrhea. The dinner was so much fun, and the nine 9 of us had a great time (I’m making a bunch of new friends that are all so much fun to hangout with) After dinner, we came back to the flats (apartments) and decided to go out to the bar across the street (called Perseverance Tavern) which is the oldest bar in Cape Town, to get a few beers. We drank some local beers and then went to the Kimberly Hotel (which is another bar across the street) and had a few more beers with some new MSU guys that showed up yesterday. We left at about 22:30 (10:30pm) and now I’m sitting here typing this blog. Tomorrow, I start my internship and I am very anxious, but SO excited to meet all of the people I will be working with for the next few months! All in all, I have met some really great people so far that I am so excited to spend the next two and a half months with. I am still alive and well, so no need to worry, and I will try to post some pictures when I have better internet! Love you and miss you all!

P.S. Grandma, I cannot thank you enough for teaching me how to iron and for ironing all of my clothes, they made it to Cape Town in great shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment