Tuesday 4 June 2013

Day 3

Today was my first day of work. I woke up around 7:45 and hopped in the shower, and began getting more and more nervous for my job. I had my outfit ready, and I left at about 8:30 to meet Jackie (the internship coordinator) in the main lobby because she was going to walk me to work for my first day since I was a little unsure as to where it was (all of the internship coordinators walk the interns to their businesses which is pretty cool.) When I entered the lobby, I saw a girl sitting on the couch, waiting for Jackie as well, and I went to sit by her. I found out that she was from USC (her name was Shelby) and she turned out to be really cool. She told me of a few things that she had already done in Cape Town and some of the things that she wanted to do, which made me realize that there is so much that I need to do before I leave. We talked for a while and realized that it was 9:20 and we were supposed to meet Jackie at 8:40 to be at work by 9:00. Jackie ended up being really busy and fell a little bit behind, but another internship coordinator (Miche) drove me to the building. The building was AWESOME. It is a smaller, two-story building that is decorated with a very modern style inside. I knocked on the door, and was welcomed by everyone at the company. My desk was upstairs next to three other people and they all turned out to be VERY personable and easy to talk to. I felt comfortable right off the bat and was assigned to look up pictures for different vineyards for a press release that the company needed to submit. At about 12:00, my supervisor asked if I was going with him and the others to the MorocanOil media event, and I jumped on the bandwagon. We left the building at about 13:30 and got on the highway, which went up into the mountain a little bit and then back down it. The views, once again, were unbelievable. We parked in a suburb of Cape Town and found that the event was taking place in a little white church in the middle of the town. We were greeted at the front door with the choice of champagne or orange juice, and entered the event to find servers walking around with different h’oderves that tasted so good (quiches, beef wellingtons, chocolate cakes, small pot pie slices, etc.) After about thirty minutes of meeting different clients for the MorocanOil product, we sat down for a presentation of the product. The guy who presented the product was really funny, and he talked for about an hour. In the middle of his presentation, there was a small fashion show that was actually really sweet! The presentation ended, and once again, everyone talked, ate, and drank a little bit more. We were handed gift bags with expensive hair products inside that we were allowed to keep and take home (my hair smells really good right now.) We went back to the office, and the power went out, so I ended up staying there until about 17:40 (5:40pm) and then walked home. The walk home is a little bit sketchy, but since its rush hour, there are a ton of people out and its safer because it is light out. After returning to the apartment, all of us MSU kids went up to the sauna on the 18 floor since we were all freezing (this is starting to become a daily thing for all of us, but its really nice hanging out and looking out to the city skyline.) It’s only 22:00 and I am already about to go to bed (I feel like I’m 95 years old) but I am really happy with my internship so far! Day three has been a REALLY long day, but hopefully I get into the routine quickly and they go by faster. Once again, I’m still alive and doing pretty darn good. Love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment